If Android users weren’t already glued to their phones, they will be now. Game apps are constantly popping up, with more fun and exciting designs and developments to really make your noggin churn. The Android Market is blooming with teasers that will keep you addicted for hours, which can come in really handy when those awkward silences surface at your 10 year reunion (or any other less than thrilling moment). Read on gamers, and discover 5 tantalizing word puzzle games for Android.
- Bejeweled 2: The original and adored match-three-gems game, Bejeweled, has morphed into a more intense version. There are now three game modes from which to choose: Classic, Action, and Endless. The Classic mode allows you to play in the style users are already familiar with, where you match three or more similar gems to earn points; Action mode ups the ante with a timer; Endless mode is a never ending game of Bejeweled, perfect for a rainy day marathon in bed. Matching four or five gems rewards players with points; four gems of the same color explodes into another gem color and when matched with two other gems of that color, the surrounding gems are blasted and destroyed. Like we said, intense.
- Amazing Alex: From the creators of Angry Birds comes Amazing Alex, a game filled with increasing complexities and addictive graphics. The players’ job is to interact with objects and determine what the best possible way to complete the level is. This cartoon-inspired game boasts 35 interactive objects and an incredible amount of levels, more than 100, which will keep you occupied for quite awhile.
- Apparatus: Dive straight into the physics lab with this puzzle game. Apparatus invites players to build a complex machine in order to perform a simple task. In this case, it’s moving one or several marbles towards the desired destination. While this version is free, you can dole out some green to the maker's to upgrade to the limited Lite version, where more levels and other benefits await, such as building a space rocket to transfer the marbles. Connecting cables from batteries to motors, bridge building, teeter-totter constructing, rope swinging, and vehicle designing are also a little taste of what the Lite version offers.
- Unblock Me: In two words, simple and addictive. The gist of Unblock Me is to make moves in order to get the red block completely out of the board by sliding the other blocks out of its way. Precision is key, as well as concentration. With four difficulty levels, Beginner to Expert, and just about 4,200 puzzles, your brain may be mush after a few hours of playing. Plus, you can either pick the Challenge mode or the Relax mode, depending on just how much of a smarty- pants you’re feeling like.
- Where’s My Water: In this puzzle game, help Swampy the alligator maintain his clean water supply so he can take a shower. While the player digs pipelines to help Swampy, his fellow alligators try to botch the whole thing by adding algae and other contaminants into the mix, which the player has to keep at bay. Swiping, sloshing, and splashing through increasingly challenging scenarios keeps players interested and focused on helping good old Swampy get his bath.
Kristy Kravitsky is a 2011 college graduate with a degree in English.